Education Opportunities at the Garden!
- Lectures, workshops & classes: The Botanical Garden hosts workshops for gardeners of all levels of expertise. Upcoming 2018 workshops include: Floral Arrangement, Hypertufa, Gardening 101, and Spa Care (homemade remedies to treat yourself). Visit our events page for dates and registration information. Workshops and classes continue to be added!
- March 3, 2018 Spring Garden Conference: Celebrating 25 Years from the Ground Up!- Early Bird tickets are on sale now! Don’t miss out on the great line-up of speakers and vendors attending this year’s Conference. Click Here to find out more information and to purchase tickets.
ABG Summer Camp:
The Alaska Botanical Garden is the place to spend summer break! Each week campers explore different science and art topics while exploring 110 acres of native Boreal Forest as well as behind the scenes tours of our plant collections and research facilities. If your child loves being outdoors and digging in the dirt than ABG Summer Camp is the place to be! Sign up for one camp, two camps or all summer long; each week offers unique hands-on lessons that will keep your child exploring and learning about the natural world around them.
Teachers and Educators:
- School Field Trips (Spring & Fall): The garden becomes the classroom when you bring your students to the Alaska Botanical Garden for a field trip! Programs include fun, educational, hands-on activities and a tour of the gardens. Programs are aligned with current ASD Content Standards as well as the Next Generation Science Standards. Cost is $10 per student. Programs can accommodate a maximum of 60 students. ASD teachers must submit requests online at http://www.asdk12.org/communityresources to schedule. Non ASD teachers and parents can schedule with the Garden directly by calling 907-770-3692 or emailing the Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1st Grade- Alaskan Animals
2nd Grade- Garden Cycles
3rd Grade- Alaska’s Trees, Flowers and Shrubs
4th Grade- Interdependence
5th Grade- Your Dynamic Earth
6th Grade- Ecosystems
- Garden in the Schools: If you can’t come to us, then let us come to you! The Alaska Botanical Garden (ABG) brings gardening-related “field trips” into your classroom. Choose from one of the themes below or we can custom design a lesson for your class! Please coordinate with other teachers at your school so we can visit multiple classrooms at the same school on the same day. Maximum of 4 presentations per day per school. ASD teachers must submit requests online at http://www.asdk12.org/communityresources to schedule. Non ASD teachers and parents can schedule with the Garden directly by calling 907-770-3692 or emailing the Program Director at email@example.com.
* Soils, Compost, & Worm Composting
* Food from the Garden (Health & Nutrition)
* Alaskan Plants and Trees
Cost: $70/hr up to 30 students; extra $65 travel fee for schools in Mat-su or Girdwood; schools outside of Anchorage must have a minimum of 3 class sessions scheduled per day.
- Story Time in the Garden: Nature stories and activities for children ages 3 – 5. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Scheduled readings for Summer 2018 coming soon!
- Teacher Professional Development Workshops: Call for ideas or customized consultations.
- Workforce Development – training for young adults from Nine Star Enterprises and similar programs – call for more information.
- Discovery Duffels: While visiting the Garden with children you may check out a Discovery Duffel – these bags, full of kids activities and books, are designed for families, daycare or pre-school groups, or summer camp outings with kids ages 4-9. Check a bag out from our Shop-in-the-Garden.