Check out all the education opportunities at the Garden!
- Lectures, workshops & classes: We commonly host practical workshops for gardeners of all levels of expertise, on a wide variety of gardening, horticulture, and botany topics – from composting to dividing perennials, from garlic to peonies, and much more. Upcoming 2017 workshops include: a local wildflower class, tree pruning and care, grafting watermelons, and peonies. Visit our events page for dates and registration information. Workshops and classes continue to be added!
Teachers and Educators:
- School Field Trips (Spring & Fall): The garden becomes the classroom when you bring your students to the Alaska Botanical Garden for a field trip! Programs include fun, educational, hands-on activities and a tour of the gardens. Programs are aligned with current ASD Content Standards as well as the Next Generation Science Standards. Cost is $10 per student. Programs can accommodate a maximum of 60 students. ASD teachers must submit requests online at http://www.asdk12.org/communityresources to schedule. Non ASD teachers and parents can schedule with the Garden directly by calling 907-770-3692 or emailing the Program Director at email@example.com.
1st Grade- Alaskan Animals
2nd Grade- Garden Cycles
3rd Grade- Alaska’s Trees, Flowers and Shrubs
4th Grade- Interdependence
5th Grade- Your Dynamic Earth
6th Grade- Ecosystems
- Garden in the Schools: If you can’t come to us, then let us come to you! The Alaska Botanical Garden (ABG) brings gardening-related “field trips” into your classroom. Choose from one of the themes below or we can custom design a lesson for your class! Please coordinate with other teachers at your school so we can visit multiple classrooms at the same school on the same day. Maximum of 4 presentations per day per school. ASD teachers must submit requests online at http://www.asdk12.org/communityresources to schedule. Non ASD teachers and parents can schedule with the Garden directly by calling 907-770-3692 or emailing the Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Soils, Compost, & Worm Composting
* Food from the Garden (Health & Nutrition)
* Alaskan Plants and Trees
Cost: $70/hr up to 30 students; extra $65 travel fee for schools in Mat-su or Girdwood; schools outside of Anchorage must have a minimum of 3 class sessions scheduled per day.
- Story Time in the Garden: Nature stories and activities for children ages 3 – 5. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Scheduled readings for Summer 2017 coming soon!
- Teacher In-Service Training: Call for ideas or customized consultations.
- Workforce Development – training for young adults from Nine Star Enterprises and similar programs – call for more information.
- Discovery Duffels: While visiting the Garden with children you may check out a Discovery Duffel – these bags, full of kids activities and books, are designed for families, daycare or pre-school groups, or summer camp outings with kids ages 4-9. Check a bag out from our Shop-in-the-Garden.
See our Gardening Tips & Articles page for more information.