Photography at the Garden
The Alaska Botanical Garden welcomes visitors, commercial photographers, and members of the media to take photographs on our grounds, according to the policies and procedures outlined below. Photographers, both commercial and non‐commercial, must also adhere to Garden Etiquette
The Alaska Botanical Garden is a non‐profit Botanical Garden, not a public park. The Garden receives no Municipal, State, or Federal operating support – relying instead upon donations, entrance fees, memberships, and program revenue to maintain the gardens. Please conduct your visit with the utmost care and respect for the plantings, facilities, wildlife, and fellow visitors; and “leave no trace” upon conclusion of your time here.
Visitors to the Gardens are welcome to photograph the cultivated gardens and trail areas of the Alaska Botanical Garden. Senior photos, engagement photos, holiday card pictures, class projects, and other personal photography are permitted under general admission rates without prior arrangement, provided no commercial photography is involved.
Advance booking is required in the following circumstances. We may need to decline such sessions not booked in advance:
• Photography involving props, changes of clothing, or more equipment than a tripod and standard flash.
• Photos that will be posted on the Web, used in print art for sale, used to advertise goods or services, or otherwise published.
• Photo sessions involving a group larger than five people or including a paid photographer.
• Wedding, model, professional and commercial photography.
Commercial Photographers Please Note: An annual Photography Business Membership fee of $150 may be paid in lieu of individual session fees (listed in rate sheet). This annual permit entitles a photographer to schedule an unlimited number of posed photography sessions at The Alaska Botanical Garden for one year, commencing from the date of the purchase of the permit. Scheduling and General Photography Guidelines apply. Photographers and photography studios cannot extend or transfer their membership benefits to clients, no exceptions.
Small Business Photographer Membership: $150 per year
A $ 150 Annual Photographer Membership pays for itself! Photographer Membership benefits include:
• Regular Garden Membership Benefits (newsletter, discounts, etc.)
• One‐year admission to the Garden, including photo shooting for groups of 5 or fewer people, during daylight hours (regular etiquette, scheduling, and specific photo policies apply).
• No prior scheduling required for groups of 5 or fewer individuals
• Free admission for up to 5 associated individuals. Groups with more than 5 individuals will be charged the regular Garden entrance fee for each additional person. (Note: Membership does not extend to Medium to Large Scale Commercial Photography / Filming for groups of 10 people or more – see rates below).
Members of the Media:
All media requests to feature the Alaska Botanical Garden, including content intended for print, radio, television, or film, are handled separately from all other photography. Please contact us to discuss arrangements.
Photographers working to specifically promote the Alaska Botanical Garden in travel publications and news features (with per prior arrangement with Garden staff) will not be assessed a fee. Photography in this category must be high quality and deemed useful by the Alaska Botanical Garden senior staff – unsolicited promotional photography offered without prior arrangement is not accepted or endorsed.
General Photography Guidelines:
These guidelines apply to anyone taking photographs within the Alaska Botanical Garden.
• Photographs taken at The Alaska Botanical Garden cannot be used to imply endorsement by The Alaska Botanical Garden.
• Guests should come dressed and prepared for their photo session. There are no changing areas available, and nudity is not permitted.
• All commercial and non‐commercial photography sessions involving more than a total of 5 people (including photographers and assistants) must be pre‐scheduled and pre‐paid
• Photography and film session reservations are scheduled when full payment is received. Black‐out dates and times may apply.
• After‐hours photography session payments (i.e. for groups of 5 or fewer people, not paid in advance) may be placed in the fee payment pipe at the Garden entrance (checks or cash accepted).
• All Photography sessions are scheduled and allowed on a non‐exclusive basis – meaning that regular garden visitors are permitted throughout the garden at the same time. If your group requires exclusive use of a specific garden area, please consult with us at least two weeks in advance; rates for exclusive facility rentals differ from the non‐exclusive rates outlined in this policy.
• There are NO REFUNDS for the cancellation of a photography session within two weeks prior to the event. In the event of rain, you may reschedule your session.
Questions / Reservations: 907‐770‐3692, ext. 0